Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Educational Theory from Ten Year Olds

While I'm typing this I have a couple of ten year old boys in the room next to me investigating a new video game. I found it really interesting that neither of them even wanted to look at the directions for the game, much less actually read the booklet. As I eavesdrop on them I keep hearing them say things like "I wonder what this move does?" and "what happens when I push this button?" Within about 2 minutes they had the basics of what they needed to play the game without ever being officially "taught." We as educators have to reach the point where our classrooms have that same "user-friendliness."

1 comment:

Michelle Gibson Herman said...

Kathy,

Loved the insight on the mind of a ten year. I often wonder when we begin to loose the fearlessness of trying until we get it to work. Wonderful observation.

Team Assessment Project